Mirabell Gardens – Baroque pleasure gardens in the heart of the city
were completely redesigned under archbishop Johann Ernst von Thun in 1690. The underlying geometric form, which is typical for the Baroque, is still clearly recognizable. The visual orientation towards the cathedral and fortress adds to the grandeur of the gardens – simultaneously incorporating them into the overall historical ensemble of the city.
- The Pegasus Fountain featuring a sculpture of the horse, Pegasus, is a work by Kaspar Gras from Innsbruck and was installed in 1913.
- Located around the Grand Fountain (the fountain pool) are four groups of figures by Ottavio Mosto (1690). They symbolize the 4 elements: fire, air, earth and water.
- The Hedge Theater can be found in the western section of Mirabell Gardens. It is one of the oldest hedge theaters north of the Alps.
- The Dwarf Garden originated during the rule of archbishop Franz Anton Fürst Harrach. It originally consisted of 28 dwarves (nowadays 17) made from white Untersberger marble and is the oldest of its kind in Europe.
- The Rose Garden with its ornamental rose beds is located directly south of Schloss Mirabell.
- The Orangery functions today as a palm house.