Hiking in Pokljuka plateau, Alpine Slovenia.
Rafting on the rapids of Savinja River, Alpine Slovenia
Paddleboarding along the Slovenian coast.
Hiking among the vineyards of Haloze, Thermal Pannonian Slovenia.
ACTIVE HOLIDAYS IN SLOVENIA, THE GREEN HEART OF EUROPE
Slovenia was named the world's „greenest travel destination“ due to its sustainable principles - no wonder, as it is one of the greenest countries in the world and is also known as the „green heart of Europe“. As a connection between the Alps and the Adriatic Sea, the Pannonian Plain, and the Karst, it is a year-round outdoor travel destination. Hikers and cyclists enjoy the diversity of the landscape with its ancient forests, crystal clear waters, towering mountains, and the mysterious underworld. Untouched corners and extraordinary biodiversity await visitors from all over the world in Slovenia!
Activities in Slovenia
Attractions in Slovenia
Take a trip to the past and visit the Late Renaissance Castle Dobrovo! Learn about Count de Baguer ...
Exhibitions on rich history of Bohinj.
Panoramic cable car ride and spectacular vistas.
The castle Snežnik or Snow Mountain is located in the Slovenian Lož Valley and was inhabited by ...
Oplen House is providing a fascinating insight into life in Bohinj years ago.
The Prem Castle is located in the village of the same name south of Postojna in Slovenia.
The Park of Military History was established as a museum in the former barracks of Pivka in ...
Discover the region
SAFETY, SUSTAINABILITY, UNIQUENESS – THIS IS SLOVENIA
Active holidays in Slovenia, the green heart of Europe
With the global pandemic, travel health and safety have become more important than ever. The high hygiene requirements and recommendations for health protection are fully implemented in Slovenia under the „Green & Safe“ label and standards. In addition, Slovenia is one of the safest countries in the world and strives for a sustainable future. The original, unadulterated nature should also be preserved for future generations. Therefore, there is a wide range of traditional and local products and services, individual instead of mass tourism, and easy access to the country by car, bus, and train. The emphasis on local traditions, the extraordinary gastronomy with local ingredients, the untouched nature favors the concept of the „Boutique Destination“, which emphasizes the uniqueness of the regions and experiences in Slovenia.
Photo: Jošt Gantar, Slovenian Tourist Board
365 DAYS OF EXCITEMENT
When picking outdoor activities, a country with four distinct seasons is always the right choice. Your favorite form of exercise might sometimes be linked with high mountains, at other times with the seaside, or perhaps with river valleys, or vine-growing hills. You can find excellent centres for outdoor exercise throughout Slovenia. Because everything is so close, you can experience the country’s diversity with your first visit and the many faces of nature during your subsequent visits to this green land. Time and again. Season after season. From skiing and cross-country skiing in the winter to hiking and biking in the warmer months, Slovenia has it all.
5 REASONS FOR AN OUTDOOR TRIP TO SLOVENIA
- Slovenia is a hiking paradise: with 10,000 km of well-maintained hiking trails that open low and hilly regions as well as low and high mountain ranges, families, and leisure holidaymakers, as well as ambitious mountaineers, will find their favorite type of trail here. For extra comfort, there is an extended network of mountain huts and hike hotels
- Unforgettable cycling experiences: Slovenia convinces mountain bikers, road cyclists, cyclists, and families with varied cycle paths, side roads, grandiose views and challenging bike & trail parks, long-distance trails and extra comfort can be found in many bike hotels.
- Water sports and adrenaline adventures are inevitable: white water rafting or kayak tour, a foray through mysterious Karst caves, a horse ride through green meadows, or an adrenaline-charged paragliding flight? None of this is a problem in Slovenia.
- Attention skiers and winter sports enthusiasts: you can be active 365 days a year in more than 10 large ski centers. Another 30 smaller ski areas complete the offer. There are numerous cross-country skiing and ski touring options.
- Idyllic nature in the green heart of Europe: The untouched nature with its mighty waterfalls, emerald green rivers, mysterious karst caves, and picturesque mountains is scattered all over the country.
SLOVENIA FROM A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE: KAYAKING DOWN THE RIVERS, PARAGLIDING ABOVE LAKES, EXPLORING THE UNDERGROUND WORLD
Slovenia is a green playground in the middle of Europe
Slovenias diverse landscape where the Karst, Mediterranean, Alpine and Pannonian worlds meet offers a wide range of possibilities for active outdoor adventures that you will find hardly anywhere else.
Explore the underground world! There is a long tradition of cave exploration in Slovenia as the country has a very extensive subterranean world, particularly in the Karst. In Slovenia, speleologists discover new caves every year; so far, they have discovered over 12 thousand of them but only a little more than twenty are open to visitors.
Climb to the top of a mountain or a hill. On foot or by bicycle. Have fun with your kids in family-friendly ski resorts. Feel the adrenaline. Breathe in the freshness of nature amid green forests, on horseback, by the water or on golf courses. Enter the world of active experiences.
Discover Slovenia from a different perspective. Experience the unforgettable. Surrounded by the breath-taking green nature, the sounds of the crystal-clear river rapids will make your heart jump. Go rafting, canoeing, or kayaking to explore the picturesque gorges and feel the thrill of the breath-taking nature!
Go skiing or snowboarding in Slovenia. Slovenian ski resorts offer fun in the snow for all generations. Regardless of your physical fitness and skiing skills, you can find excellent slopes that are just right for you. Most of Slovenia’s ski resorts will take your breath away with stunning views of the surrounding peaks and valleys.