The pilgrimage church of Madonna del Sasso is located in Orselina. It is worth a visit, because it is not only a historic and imposing building perched on a rocky outcrop above Locarno, but the view from here is also spectacular.
The trail to Tenero is mostly on asphalt, which makes it easy to follow even when the sun is not shining. On the way to Brione s/Minusio you pass the Parco di Orselina, a beautiful park where many cultural events take place in summer. Continue over the little stream Riale Rabissale and at same altitude straight on to Brione s/Minusio. From here you have a beautiful panorama of Lake Maggiore. When it gets dark, thousands of lights of the city shine and create a magical ambience.
From Moncacce begins the descent. The waterfall trail leads down to Tenero, from where you can take the train or bus back to Locarno. If you still want to walk, you can return to Locarno on a wonderful path along the lake (approx. 1.15h).
Book recommendation by the author
- Hiking daypack (approx. 20 liters) with rain cover
- Comfortable and waterpoof winter shoes or sturdy hiking boots
- Crampons and gaiters if necessary
- Warm and waterpoof clothing in multiple layers
- Hat/headband, scarf, gloves
- Sun and rain protection
- Snacks and drinking water
- Thermos flask with a hot drink
- First aid kit
- Mobile phone, headlight if necessary
- Telescope sticks if necessary