A small but fine circular route that is really something! The ascent is rewarded with breathtaking views of the magnificent Moselle landscape!
Distance 1.9 km
The hike starts at the bridge gate and follows the historic fire trail through the vineyards to the war memorial. From there the so-called lower French staircase with its 100 steps leads steeply up to the Grevenburg. The newly developed spiral staircase in the so-called "Hollow Barrel" allows you to exit to the viewing platform and continue your ascent via the upper French Staircase to the Gate to Heaven. Here you can enjoy a magnificent view over the Grevenburg, Traben-Trarbach and the Moselle loop to Mont-Royal.
Plan a little more time and strengthen yourself in the castle tavern of the Grevenburg!
Update: January 19, 2021
Safety informationThe following applies to the area of the spiral staircase, viewing platform and climb via the upper French staircase to the Gates of Heaven:
- only for experienced hikers
- A head for heights required
- Surefootedness required
Tips and hintsTourist-Information Traben-Trarbach
Am Bahnhof 5
+49 - (0) 6541 /8398 0
Getting thereby car to Enkircher Straße in the Trarbach district
ParkingParking Enkircher Straße. The starting point (bridge gate) can be reached from there via the bridge entrance.
Equipmentsturdy shoes, binoculars and camera recommended
Basic Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Via Ferratas
- Via ferrata set
- Climbing harness
- Climbing helmet
- Via ferrata or hard-wearing safety gloves
- Positioning lanyard / personal anchor system with screwgate carabiners for resting
- Via ferrata belay kit if required (when accompanying beginners and / or children)
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view