The Hannig-Loop is a great introduction to the terrain found in the Alps. It’s a moderate trail running tour which includes plenty of singletrack, a bit of rocky terrain, and even a summit.
After riding the gondola up to Hannig, the trail starts with a 600-metre ascent to Mällig where you can pause to enjoy views of the Mischabel Group’s 4,000-plusmetre peaks and glaciers, as well as the Weissmies and Lagginhorn across the valley. From the summit, descend a short ridge into a small valley behind the Senggflüe. Don’t forget to look over your shoulder at the glaciers cascading off the Nadelhorn as you cruise down to re-enter forest at Balmiboden. Finally, the descent concludes with a cool cruise on silky smooth singletrack through larch forest, all the way back to Saas-Fee.
With luck you may see ibexes along the way.
AuthorSaastal Tourismus AG
Updated: November 02, 2020
Safety informationUse of the trails and the information on this website is at your own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
For all trails:
- Use marked trails only, and take note of all signposting – for both your own safety as well as that of grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please treat other trail users, as well as the plants and animals, with respect.
For mountain trails:
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at high altitudes. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan your trail carefully: take the fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season into consideration.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In case of uncertain weather conditions, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Take note of warning signs indicating the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs: water levels may rise rapidly without warning.
Tips, hints and linksStyle: flow 70%, technical 20%, exposed 10%
Course: round, clockwise
More information about the destination:
Getting thereMainroad to Visp, at the roundabout at the land bridge south towards Saas-Fee & Zermatt. At the ‘Killerhof’ roundabout (after Stalden) second exit towards Saas-Fee. At the crossing in Saas-Grund (after the church), turn right towards Saas-Fee.
ParkingAt the village entrance on the public car park.
32T 416268 5107411
- Good footwear
- Weather-appropriate clothing: always carry a waterproof jacket
- Hat or peak cap
- Water bottle
- Hiking poles
For changing the range of view, push the arrows together.