From the hut, you head almost directly out onto the Hohlaub Glacier. Trail markers guide the way across to a rocky island, and from there you’ll move on to the Allalin Glacier. A long traverse on flat, hard snow and ice leads you off the glacier and back onto rocky trails. From there, it’s a steep descent to the Mattmark dam before the fast, flowing trail down the valley to Saas-Almagell. From Saas-Almagell it’s just one last 150-metre climb to get back to Saas-Fee.
Rest StopMattmark Dam
Britannia hut SAC
Safety informationUse of the trails and the information on this website is at your own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes.
For all trails:
- Use marked trails only, and take note of all signposting – for both your own safety as well as that of grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please treat other trail users, as well as the plants and animals, with respect.
For mountain trails:
- Take extra care protecting yourself from the sun at high altitudes. UV radiation can be exceptionally strong, even in cloudy weather.
- Plan your trail carefully: take the fitness level of each participant, weather forecast and season into consideration.
- Weather conditions can change quickly in the mountains, without warning. Appropriate clothing is therefore essential, along with adequate supplies of food and water. In case of uncertain weather conditions, turn back in good time.
- Inform others of the route you plan to take. Whenever possible, avoid going alone.
- Take note of warning signs indicating the constant danger in river beds and along watercourses below dams and reservoirs: water levels may rise rapidly without warning.
Tips, hints and linksStyle: flow 70%, technical 25%, exposure 5%
Course: round, clockwise
More information about the destination:
Getting thereMainroad to Visp, at the roundabout at the land bridge south towards Saas-Fee & Zermatt. At the ‘Killerhof’ roundabout (after Stalden) second exit towards Saas-Fee. At the crossing in Saas-Grund (after the church), turn right towards Saas-Fee.
ParkingAt the village entrance on the public car park.
- Good footwear
- Weather-appropriate clothing: always carry a waterproof jacket
- Hat or peak cap
- Water bottle
- Hiking poles