The natural toboggan run Hochwurzen is one of the longest sled runs in the Alps and is open during the day and at night!
On top of 123 kilometers of ski slopes, Schladming's 4 mountain ski area also offers one of the longest toboggan runs in the Alps. The almost 7 km long toboggan run is open daily during cable-car operating times. Monday to Saturday it is also illuminated in the evenings from 7 pm to 11:30 pm - the cable-car then is operating from 7 pm to 9:30 pm. The Hochwurzen toboggan run is among the most attractive and well-groomed runs in Austria.
The Gipfelbahn Hochwurzen cable-car takes tobogganists up to the summit of Hochwurzen. From there the sled run takes you back to the valley terminal of the cable-car - so multiple runs are easily possible. Stopping off for food is part of it – and you won’t miss out on Hochwurzen. The lodges are well distributed between the starting and finishing points of the sled run and offer enough space even for large groups! On top of that, you enjoy a great view to the Dachstein massif from Hochwurzen summit.
The run is also open in the evening. The Planai night bus is the easiest way to reach the cable-car and toboggan run and go back to Schladming.
Tobogganing - as a hobby - is not a difficult sport. However, a minimum level of stamina and flexibility is required. Do not sled beyond your means, be careful at blind bends of the track and especially take care in the evening! Also, please DO NOT use the ski slopes for tobogganing!
In an emergency please call:
- 140 - for Alpine emergencies (all over Austria)
- 112 - European GSM emergency number
Tips, hints and links
- Hochwurzenhütte: +43 (0)3687 61177, www.hochwurzen.at
- Hochwurzenalm: +43 (0)3687 61666, www.hochwurzen.at
- Seiterhütte: +43 (0)3687 61615, www.seiterhuette.at
- Tauernalm: +43 (0)3687 61672, www.tauernalm.com
- Alter Stadl: +43 (0)3687 61444, www.familienhotel-austria.at
- Hoo-Ruck Alm: +43 676 96 41 337, www.hoo-ruck.at (located at the valley terminal of Hochwurzen II chair-lift. It is only possible to go there during the day as there is no illumination, cable-car or toboggan rental there in the evening!)
Further interesting links
Getting thereFrom Schladming into the direction of Rohrmoos, at the roundabout Rohrmoos straight ahead to the Gipfelbahn Hochwurzen cable-car.
ParkingParking is available at the Gipfelbahn Hochwurzen cable-car.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Good winter shoes, warm clothing, tuque, and gloves. You might want to bring ski goggles too.
There are several toboggan rentals next to the valley terminal of Gipfelbahn Hochwurzen cable-car:
- Ski Lenz: +43 3687 61478, www.schilenz.at
- Toboggan rental Tauernalm: +43 3687 61672, www.tauernalm.com
- Toboggan rental family hotel Austria: +43 3687 61444, www.familienhotel-austria.at
During the day it is possible to sled down to the valley terminal of the chairlift Hochwurzen II. There is also a toboggan rental there:
- Rodelverleih Hoo-Ruck Alm: +43 676 96 41 337, www.hoo-ruck.at