After a quite steep road ascent a lot of pure joy is awaiting you. Riding horizontally with slight ups and downs through historical hamlets, great views and nice nature, especially in autumn and spring.
From above Zgornja Sorica village, you have two descent variants:
- Directly down, sightseeing the beautiful village and its heritage of painters.
- Continuing horizontally further to Petrovo Brdo road pass and then gently down by the valley of Sora.
Orientation is simple, traffic in the upper part is hardly any. Some parts of the traverse are macadam, but the descent is all asphalted.
You can buy refreshment only on Petrovo Brdo, in Sorica village (if descending directly) and of course at the end, in Zali Log.
Tips and hints
From Torka village you can also do a nice hike up on the summit of Ratitovec. Very panoramic (view on Julian Alps with Triglav), mountain hut there on 1642 m. From 1160 m to the summit we need 1 h 15 min for the ascent and some good 45 min for the descent. Be careful not to twist ankle if you have only biking shoes!
The history of German speaking people in those villages and hamlets is interesting. They were given the land (by the bishoph in Innichen) in the 12th century and maintained their language and culture till the middle of 19th century, when their primary school was closed down. Many todays toponymes have German origin (Kocenpoh = Katzenbach, Altemaver = Altes Mauer, etc.).
Getting thereŠkofja Loka - Železniki - Zali Log is 21.7 km.
ParkingA lot of free parking places.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentA mountain bike is not needed, but you must have gears to be able to master a quite steep road up to Torka hamlet.
Basic Equipment for Road Cycling
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Cycling shoes
- Padded shorts and jersey
- Water bottle and cage
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.