The majestic road leading to mount Alaric invite you for a stunning walk, far from urban pollution.
This small massif, peaking at 600m, stands as an important symbol between Carcassonne and Narbonne. The northern buttress of Corbières, it draws the limit between the Mediterranean and Atlantic influences. One can gain access it from the road D114, beyond the fortified village of Ribaute. Then follow the road between Camplong-d’Aude and Montlaur and the impressive canyons of the Congoust. When you take the road D57, you get to the mountain by the pass of Le Fer-à-cheval, from which you will enjoy the beautiful viewpoint reaching the Montagne Noire.
Art de vivre and authenticity
You may also reach Pradelles-en-Val and Monze. While the vine is still present there, the scrubland, full of rosemary and juniper, dominates. Another scenic road is that of Floure, which will take you to Barbaira. Charming villages uncover all along road 113: they feature calmness, authenticity, art de vivre, which all serve rest and pleasure.
Safety informationEmergency number: 112
Tips and hints
AOC Corbières producers’ organisation
2 bis ch. de l'Allée
Phone : + 33 (0)188.8.131.52.00
Book recommendation by the author
Before you leave:
- Make sure that the bike is in perfect mechanical condition, not to mention the tires and brakes
- Make sure that the bike is correctly adjusted to your body shape
- Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended
- Take a repair kit with you
- Remember that the Highway Traffic Act applies to cyclists in all circumstances
- Never drive more than two lanes at a time and pull into a single lane when traffic conditions require.
- Respect other users as you would like them to respect you
- Choose a route adapted to your physical abilities
- Inform your family and friends of your itinerary
- Find out about the weather conditions
- A first aid kit is not essential, but can be very useful
- Be informed and keep the emergency numbers.
- Respect the environment by not throwing your food packaging on the side of the road
- If you have to return at nightfall, make sure you see and also be seen