Tips and hintsPilgerweg "VIA ROMEA"
From the A2 motorway, take the B81 from Magdeburg or A395 from Braunschweig to the B6. On the B6, please take the exit "Wernigerode Nord" or "Wernigerode Zentrum".
From the A14 from Halle / Leipzig, take the B6 to Wernigerode from Kreuz Bernburg.
From the west, take the A7 motorway to the access point Rhüden and then continue on the B82 and B6 to Wernigerode.
From the south, Wernigerode can be reached by crossing the Harz via the B4 (Erfurt-Nordhausen) and the B81 towards Blankenburg.
ParkingThere is enough parking in Wernigerode.
Book recommendation by the author
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentSturdy shoes. Clothes adapted to the weather.
Basic Equipment for Pilgrim Walks
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Religious objects and material as required
Things to Bring if Staying in a Hostel
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Pilgrim ID card
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.