This popular trail, named after the legendary knight Gašper Lamberg from castle Kamen, is a must for history buffs and families with children. Featuring noumerous mysterious archeological sites (Zijalka cave, The Dwarf's castle, Njivice plateau...) and ruins of majestic Kamen castle - this trail shall awaken courioustiy and exploration spirit of both young and old.
Starting at Begunje, the path leads you through the park of Katzenstein mansion, known for tragic events in WWII (Museum of hostages) . Reaching Krpin recreational area, the trails ascends into the forests of Njivice plateau. After traversing the panoramic scree slopes and hiking underneath the limestone cliffs, the Lamberg trail brings you further into the green arms of scenic Draga valley at the foot of the Karavanke mountain range.
If the hike would seem to short for some - it can easily be extended with connecting St. Peter's trail or (for more advanced hikers) also with Begunje Shepherd's trail.
- Lunch (or refreshing drink) at Draga Inn is always a good choice
- Try out your achery skills in Draga archery parkour
- Be attentive of small children at the short section of scree slope traverse
- Do not attempt to climb to the walls of Dwarf's castle unless you have packed a rock climbing gear (rope, harness, belay device)
- After winter defrost occasional falling rocks are possible to occour
Tips and hints
- Excellent playgrounds for children at Jurček pub (start and end of the walk) and in Krpin recreational centre
- If you would like to learn more about the WWI events in the area visit the Museum of hostages in Begunje
- Fascinanting works of slovenia's most famous architekt Jože Plečnik in the park of Katzenstein mansion
Getting thereUse exits Lesce (3), Radovljica (4) or Brezje (5) from A2/E 61 motorway and follow the signs for Begunje na Gorenjskem. Reaching the village pass, the Elan ski factory and Mercator grocery shop. On your left you shall see public parking spaces and Tourist information centre Begunje.
ParkingFree parking spaces by Jurček pub and infront of post office (except blue area)
Author’s map recommendations
Hiking or athletic shoes with good friction