Mountain bike around Gustavsrundan
Jakobstad Region Development Company Concordia Ltd Verified partner Explorers Choice
The Gustavsrundan trail and bikers moving through the forestPhoto: NatVenture (www.natventure.fi), CC BY, Jakobstad Region Development Company Concordia Ltd
Gustavsrundan is a loop that ends in the same place it starts. Your trip will start from the parking at Söderpårasvägen 109, 68500 Kronoby. From the starting point the trail will be wide and easy to follow, just be prepared for some muddy parts and bumps in the form of roots ahead of you. After around 5,5 kilometers you will arrive at Lillträsket, with a beautiful view of the swamp of the same name, Lillträsket. This is a good place to take a break and eat something. This is also the spot where the main part of the more difficult terrain ends, and you will soon find yourself on the fast and hard track in the open pine forest.
When finished eating/drinking or simply enjoying a break with a view, turn around and after 50m you will see the track going to the right.
On the rest of your trip you will experience a lot of different types of trails, from hard and fast single tracks to sandy parts and some steep downhills. Enjoy!
Track typesShow elevation profile
Safety informationAlways bring a friend. There should be no problem with phone coverage. You will be crossing roads that are frequently used by cars so be careful with that. Helmet and a water bottle is a minimum to bring on this trip. Bring a map or phone (preferably with gpx file), it is not always obvious in what direction the track continues.
Tips and hintsIt is possible to ride the trail both ways, but it is recommended that you follow the trail that starts where you park your car (at the given address previously mentioned). On your way back you will arrive at the parking spot by riding on the paved road.
- Start your ride from the parking, you will see signs that point you in the direction of the trail.
- After 2,5 km you will find Vargstugan – a hut and a fireplace
- When riding ~3 km more you will find yourself at Lillträsket where you should turn around and in about 50m turn right to continue on the track
- Soon you will arrive at the road, take a right and after about 400m take a left turn.
- Enjoy your rocky trail downhill and soon you'll encounter a gravel road again. Take right and turn left on the first road
- Here the hard and fast track starts. After a while you will once again encounter a paved road which you are supposed to cross. (If you for some reason don’t see a track straight across the road, turn right and keep a look out to the left)
- From here the trail is easy to follow all the way to Kronoby shooting range
- Follow the small forest roads that run parallel with the railwaytrack
- When you arrive to the viaduct take a left – follow the road and take the first right
- After a about 1,5 km between two fields you will be back in the small village of Kronoby – follow the road until you see the river in front of you
- Take a right and continue until you see a bridge on your left
- Cross the bridge and continue toward the main road, where you take a left
- When the main road splits take a right
- In about 500 m you will see the starting point on your left
There is a public bus connection from Pietarsaari / Jakobstad to the nearest bus stop, Söderpåras. From the bus stop, the distance to the starting point is roughly 1 km. (15 minutes by foot, 3 minutes by bike) The bus connections runs daily, as of March 2020 five times per day on weekdays, and twice on Saturdays and Sundays.
In order to check up-to-date schedules for the bus when traveling from Jakobstad / Pietarsaari, please visit Matkahuolto, choose English (in the top right hand corner), and enter Jakobstad or Pietarsaari into the "From"-field, and Söderpåras into the "To"-field.
The easiest way to reach this location is by car.
When traveling from the center of Pietarsaari / Jakobstad:
- Take Route 741 to Kolpintie/Kållbyvägen/Route 68 (1.9 km)
- Follow Kolpintie/Kållbyvägen/Route 68 and E8 to Kronobyvägen/Kruunupyyntie in Kronoby (19.9 km)
- Continue on Kronobyvägen/Kruunupyyntie. Drive to Söderpåraksentie/Söderpårasvägen (3.6 km)
Link to route description: https://goo.gl/maps/iVfEiDdvWWvaQiLB9
When traveling from the center of Kruunupyy / Kronoby:
- Head south on Kronobyvägen/Kruunupyyntie toward Kirkkotie/Kyrkvägen (850 m)
- Turn left onto Söderpåraksentie/Söderpårasvägen (1.1 km)
Link to route description: https://goo.gl/maps/tmzvTn9mCBz93zRV9
ParkingSöderpårasvägen 109, 68500 Kronoby (you will see a small parking area next to the paved road)
Author’s map recommendations
An alternative map with a few photos and descriptions in Swedish and Finnish can be downloaded from this location.
EquipmentMountainbike, helmet, maintenance equipment for your bike, water and some snacks are needed. There is no place to rent any equipment so bring your own.
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Help others by being the first to add a review.
Photos from others