From the village of Avsa, take the cart track which takes you to the turn towards the Idrska planina Mountain pasture (right) after approximately seven kilometres. From here, continue to the first junction. The trail to the right is a hiking trail routed along the northern side of the mountain to the summit of Mt. Matajur, however, you continue along the left trail which takes you to a field gate on the left side of the trail after approximately one kilometre. After climbing over the field gate you arrive to the Italian side of the mountain. Follow the cart trail (easily drivable for the first few kilometres) and continue along the single track trail (covered with high grass during the summer) across the southern slopes of Mt. Matajur to the Dom na Matajure Mountain hut. You can continue your tour to the summit of the mountain on your bicycle or on foot. You can plan your descent directly to the southern side along the hiking trail (steep, rocky, for experienced cyclists) or along a more gently descending terrain to the Dom na Matajure Mountain hut and along the same trail you came from.
At the junction beneath the chapel you can decide how you will continue – along the access road to the village of Avsa or to the Pelizzo Mountain hut, the village of Matajur and through the village of Čeplečišče to the village of Livek and further to the town of Kobarid.
Safety informationThere is a technically demanding direct descent leading from the top of Mt. Matajur along its southern slope towards the Pelizzo Mountain hut, which is why the majority of cyclists decide to descend to the Dom na Matajure Mountain hut from where they cross the southern slope of the mountain and continue along the access road towards the village of Avsa.
Tips and hints
From the top of Mt. Matajur you can descend:
- to the starting point – village of Avsa (along the mentioned access road),
- past the Pelizzo Mountain hut to the village of Matajur and towards the village of Mašera. At the junction you can decide to ascend to the village of Čeplečišče and further to the village of Livek, or to descend into the valley towards the village of Sovodnje where you follow the Nadiža River to the town of Kobarid or the Soča Valley.
There are several options:
- from the town of Kobarid to the village of Livek if you would like to avoid the six-kilometre-long ascent from the village of Idrsko to the village of Livek.
- from the town of Kobarid to the village of Avsa (you avoid the eight-kilometre ascent from the town of Idrsko to the starting point of the tour).
- During the summer months you can take the ‘Hop On Hop Off’ shuttle bus running to the village of Avsa. In this case, you can descend all the way back to the village of Idrsko or the town of Kobarid on your return.
ParkingParking lot in the village of Avsa. In case of the circular (described) tour I recommend you to park at the parking lot in the village of Livek.
EquipmentComfortable cycling along this route requires the use of a mountain bike. During the summer months you can replenish your water supply on the Idrska planina Mountain pasture.
Weather at the route's trailhead