The third part of the Dachstein circular hiking trail leads from the Südwandhütte, going up with the dachstein gondola, via the Sky Walk and the glacier over a long plateau to the Guttenberghaus.
ATTENTION: For using the Dachstein cable car it is absolutely necessary to make a reservation for the ascent about 1 week in advance at www.derdachstein.at. Otherwise it is possible that all seats in the gondola are fully booked. For the reservation guests are responsible for themselves.
Important note: For the ascent with the Dachstein cable car a reservation is necessary! Make sure you book your desired time frame a few days in advance.
Due to the high altitude, weather conditions can change quickly, so equipment for all conditions should be considered (rain protection, mountain boots, poles, warm clothing, etc.).
The hut keepers can assess the situation on the mountain very well, so they are good advisors when it comes to weather changes. Wrong equipment, carelessness, bad condition and wrong assessment of the situation can lead to critical situations. The glacier part should only be used on the marked routes, as there is a risk of crevasses.
Tips and hints
Sections of this stage are part of the long-distance hiking trail "From glacier to wine".
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentBackpack, sturdy shoes, hiking poles (recommended), weatherproof clothing, enough provisions, if necessary sleeping bag for the hut.(via ferrata equipment for variant 2)
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.