An easy network of trails close to the centre of Parikkala, along eskers and the shores of Lake Simpelejärvi. The network consists of trails of varied lengths and you can choose the ones that suit you the best. The Rantaraitti Hiking Trail, which runs from the yard of the Parikkala municipal building called Harjulinna towards the centre, is suitable for the disabled. You can observe birds along the 1.5-km long trail.
The Sikoharju Nature Reserve is part of an extensive esker area and it boasts several hiking trails. On top of an esker, close to Harjulinna, you can visit the Memorial to the Defenders of Ladoga. You can set off for the network of trails from the centre of Parikkala, along the Rantaraitti Hiking Trail, or from the yard of Harjulinna.
From the yard of Harjulinna, there are signposts to the 2.5 km-long Likolampi Nature Trail, where you will arrive by passing by Törölampi Pond and continuing across a road. The Likolampi beach by the trail is an excellent swimming place.
It is safest to move in a group if you do not know the terrain or the water area. Before the excursion, it is advisable to acquire the necessary maps and guides and check the weather forecast, particularly when going boating. Wear sturdy footwear and clothes that suit the weather. It is recommended that you take first aid equipment, rainwear, a spare set of clothes, as well as enough drinks with you, particularly in the summer. Remember to wear a floating vest when boating.
In wet weather and in winter, duckboards, rocks and piers can be slippery.
During the snowy season, the trails and routes are not maintained.
In an emergency, dial the number 112. Report your location, what has happened and listen to the instructions.
Tips and hintsHarjujen reitistö Parikkalan kunnan sivuilla
Getting thereReitistölle pääsee VT6:lta Hotelli-Ravintola Kägösen piha-alueelta, Parikkalan torilta rantaraittia pitkin taikka kunnantalo Harjulinnan pihalta.
ParkingAutoille on hyvin maksutonta pysäköintitilaa Parikkalan torilla, hotelli-ravintola Kägösen piha-alueella tai Harjulinnan pihalla.
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentSäänmukainen vaatetus, tukevat jalkineet. Riittävästi juomista. Reitin varrella uintimahdollisuus.
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.