Reserve plenty of time to take in the views of the landscape and to get acquainted with the sights. Along the hiking trail and in its vicinity are well-maintained rest stops, restored battlefields and several fishing areas.
Tourism companies offer supplements for your equipment and provide hikers with the opportunity to rest, sauna, eat well or even try different activities. You can find the tourism services of Lieksa at the map service Lieksan karttapalvelu.
For hiking the entire trail, the recommendation is 6 to 8 days. The terrain is varied both in terms of landscape and differences in elevation. The dampest parts have duckboards.
Note: In summer 2022, maintenance work in done on the hiking structures such as fireplaces and bridges on the Karhunpolku hiking trail. Due to lack of material, the restoration of the wooden duckboards and boardwalks is delayed and will be done the following years.
Suggested daily stages of the hike:
1st day: 26 km: Patvinsuo - Pitkäjärvi desert hut.
2nd day 10 km: Pitkäjärvi desert hut - Särkkäjoki
3th. day 20 km, Särkkäjoki shed - Haapavitja.
4th day 18 km: Haapavitja - Niskalahti shed.
5th day 24 km: Niskalahti shed - Änäkäinen
*6.th day 18 km: Änäkäinen - Valamajoki desert cabin.
7. th day km: 18 km: Valamajoki desert cabin - Teljo
Rest stopsSuomu Nature Information Hut
Ruunaa Hiking center
Café Ruunaa tupa
Eräkeskus Wilderness Lodge
- Making an open fire during forest or grass fire warnings and in strong wind is prohibited.
- Be careful -- don’t leave a fire burning alone. The last person to leave should ensure that the fire has been extinguished.
- In rainy or damp conditions, the duckboards, rocks and roots can be very slippery.
- Take along first-aid supplies.
- The emergency phone number: 112 (load your mobile phone for free using the 112 Suomi app).
- Please note that there may not be mobile phone service in some areas.
- Check the Ilmatieteenlaitos (Weather Institute) for any warnings!
Tips and hints
- We observe litter-free camping -- Please take your trash with you when you leave and keep nature clean.
- The trail is also used by mountain bikers in parts.
- Please familiarise yourself with Outdoor etiquette
See transport connections via Patvinsuo:
See transport connections via Ruunaa:
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentPlease wear rubber boots or sturdy hiking footwear. For crossing some wetlands, you will need rubber boots or to remove your shoes. Take along sufficiently warm clothing. You should also take along insect repellent. Bring along enough to drink and eat as well. It’s a good idea to take along a map, even though the path is clearly marked. GSM phones work rather well in the area. A compass is not necessary.
- 52 Waypoints
- 52 Waypoints