It's possible to see the summit cross (your first goal) from the valley floor: Arnau. Looking up at the steep rock overhang, it's hard to imagine which way the route goes. The path is steep from the outset. Negotiating numerous stone steps, the well-maintained red-and-white waymarked path is mostly in forest.
When you arrive at the summit cross with its fabulous views, the Maggia valley is at your feet. Continue to Alpe Costa, where you come across a handful of rustici – a good place to pause and admire the views. The ascent soon flattens out, the path continuing into the valley until a large clearing opens up: the Alpe Spluga. The self-catering accommodation refuge is open between May and October.
Book recommendations for this region:
- Trekking backpack (approx. 50 liters) with rain cover
- Comfortable and sturdy footwear, second pair of shoes / sandals if necessary
- Adequate and durable outdoor clothing in multiple layers
- Change of clothes
- Telescope sticks
- Sun and rain protection
- Snacks and drinking water
- First aid kit
- Mobile phone
- Travel documents
- Toilet bag and travel towel, travel detergent and clothesline, camping equipment if necessary (tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, cooking equipment), hut equipment if necessary