This is my version or my interpretation of the Via Dinarica Green Trail in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It connects many natural and cultural sights and places which hopefully will be on the future Via Dinarica Green Trail. Questions? @evadinaricaproject
I tried to connect hiking trails, trailrun tracks, National Parks, interesting sights, natural and cultural highlights in Bosnia and Herzegovian. Some parts of the route I hiked can be done by bike as well. At the time hiked it, there wasn't much information available. I created the route along the way, tried to find the best hikable route, but there are some asphalt, macadam, dirt and forest road sections here and there. Also, there are many alternatives, I believe I could hike another month or two or three exploring.
It's an real interesting region. Unlike the White Trail, the Green Trail isn't a mountain trek pur sang. It does lead you through the Dinaric Alps, but through the lower parts. It definetely is Green and absolutely stunning. Lisac and Vlašić are my favorite, LOVE those mountains!
For this Via Dinarica Green Trail tour on Outdooractive I changed a few sections, because I found some better alternatives afterwards. I'll probably keep on improving and editting the route, suggestions and comments are more than welcome!
I also uploaded the day stages seperately. Here you find the original track I hiked. Here's the complete list with day stages: EVA's Via Dinarica Green Trail.
- In case you'd like to stay in mountain huts, do call ahead, because they're usually not open unless it's weekend.
- If you're planning to hike this trail, do your research, because there are plenty of options to improve my route.
Rest StopVukov Konak
Zelenkovac Eco Zone / Village
Stari grad Jajce
Rural Tourism Ziličina Rogatica
Mountain lodge Jure Franko
Restaurant Upper Pale
caffe bar restaurant rooms
Safety informationNote that there are many straydogs in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Especially near Bihać, Una NP and the bigger towns this was not a comfortable situation. I suggest to bring a dazer (NOT a taser!) to keep the dogs away without hurting them.
Tips and hints
Stories on my blog:
Book recommendation by the author
EquipmentGPS for sure, also as long as there is no official Via Dinarica Green Trail it could be good to use other navigation apps like MAPS.ME and Wikiloc as well to find the most scenic hiking route.
Basic Equipment for Long-Distance Hikes
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- Tent (3- or 4-season)
- Stove (including fuel and utensils)
- Sleeping mat. Sleeping bag with suitable temperature rating.
- Toiletries and medication
- Toilet paper
Things to Bring if Staying in a Mountain Hut
- Toiletries and medication
- Quick-drying towel
- Ear plugs
- Sleeping bag liner
- Alpine club membership card if applicable / ID
- Coronavirus mask and hand sanitizer
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.