Picture-book tour through the foothills of the Alps.
Today a sedate ride through undulating woodlands and meadows awaits us. The historical framework is provided by the towns of Leutkirch, Isny and Wangen.
South of Leutkirch we pedal appreciatively through the idyllic Allgäu region, just as it appears in many photos: crystal-clear streams burble through bright green meadows, which here and there make room for a village or a peaceful township. Isny nestles close to the northernmost spurs of the Allgäu Alps and is the first highlight of the day. Today's climatic health resort looks back on almost one thousand years of history, reflected in the old townscape with its high walls, towers and gateways. As we approach it, we immediately notice St. Nikolai's Church, which presents a harmonious entity with the adjacent Church of Sts. George and James and the buildings of the former Benedictine monastery. The following 25-kilometre stretch to Wangen is a cyclist's delight: the jagged Alpine peaks draw nearer and seem almost close enough to touch. A winding little road leads into Eglofs. The harmonious village square is framed by stately inns, the lovingly restored town hall and the Baroque St. Martin's Church. The Neo-Gothic fountain is an eye-catcher. Wangen is the heartbeat of the Württemberg Allgäu region. Stone witnesses from more than five centuries are to be found all over the historic town, which is watched over by the painted towers that are typical of the region. In Wangen's heritage-protected town centre there's a famous weekly market, first documented in the year 1286.