The Southern Konnevesi National Park is known for its abundant osprey population. You may see nest of the osprey at the top of a huge pine tree on small islands. Remember to respect their privacy. It is forbitten to land on small islands during the birds’ nesting season, from 15 April to 31 July.
This canoeing route takes you across the Lake of Kodanovisen Selkä to Kaituri Island. The kayaking route from Kaituri Island to the Enonranta campfire shelter is short enough to allow you time to hike to the view point of the Loukkuvuori Mountain. Loukkuvuoren Lenkki trail (2,8 km) is demanding due to large differences in altitude and rocky paths. From the top of the Loukkuvuori you can admire the magnificent views extending over the national park. This landscape is the home of a large number of rare insect, plant and bird species. Lake Konnevesi and its rapids on the Rautalampi waterway are the domain of the threatened brown trout.
Read more about Southern Konnevesi National Park.
- The route is suitable for kayakers who have good kayaking skills, who can read the map and can spend the night in nature with their own gear. On large lakes, conditions may change rapidly. Monitor the weather and seek shelter early if necessary.
- Kayaks need to be pulled far enough to the shore, as wind and surf can carry equipment left near the water's edge.
- Lake water must be boiled before drinking.
- Please respect wildlife, other visitors, and private homes, gardens and holiday homes in the area. It is forbidden to land on small islands and islets during the birds’ nesting season, from 15 April to 31 July.
In the National Park, the following are forbidden:
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- In Etelä-Konnevesi nationalpark this prohibition applies also to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Pets running at large
- Taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Killing, catching or disturbing wild vertebrates, or damaging their nests
- Catching or collecting invertebrates
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Tips and hints
KalajaRetkeily organize kayaking courses and offers Tentsile-Tree Tent Experiences.
Holiday and Course Center Törmälä offers accommodation just next to the National Park Southern Konnevesi. It is a gate to the National Park's hiking routes. There is also summer cafe.
Metsähallitus (Management of National Park of Southern Konnevesi)
Customer Service: tel. +358 (0)206 39 5270, email@example.com
To Kalasatama in Hanhitaipale (Satamatie 143, Rautalampi): Kalasatama has a boat ramp, which is owned by the municipality of Rautalampi. Follow the signs 'Hanhitaipale' and 'Kalasatama' from Konnekoskentie road (no 16089) to road 16090 for Kalasatama.
Read also Southern Konnevesi National Park Directions and maps.
ParkingHanhitaipale: Satamatie 143, Rautalampi
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
The Map of Southern Konnevesi area, kayaking and camping gear including a tent and kerosene stove, waterproof packed phone with spare battery.
The route is more suitable for kayaking than canoeing because the area is prone to winds.
Maps and kayaking equipments available in KalajaRetkeily: https://kalajaretkeily.fi/en/, phone +358 (0)40 553 5975.