Enjoy the beautiful rock formations and the extraordinarily clear and clean water while canoeing through a maze of islands. This easy and short canoeing trail holds many of the attractions of the Southern Konnevesi National Park: the impressive tafones of the Saukkosaari cliff, the Käpynän Ukko - a rocky face of an old man, and the beaver habitat. This 5 km long and easy paddling route goes around Saukkosaari Island.
Käpynän Ukko is a rocky face of an old man who guards the peace of the National Park from his spot at the Käpynänvuori Hill. Tafoni of Saukkosaari island are born from weathering, but look like man-made relief art. Saukkosaari and Käpynänniemi are nature conservation areas.
The Southern Konnevesi National Park is known for its abundant osprey population and if you are lucky, you may see one.
Paddlers must be able to swim and read the map. One must have adequate paddling skills. There are guided paddling tours for beginners.
Please remember that it is forbidden to make fire when forest fire warning is in effect.
Lake water must be boiled before drinking.
Please respect wildlife, other visitors, and private homes, gardens and holiday homes in the area. It is forbidden to land on small islands and islets during the birds’ nesting season, from 15 April to 31 July.
In the National Park, the following are forbidden:
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- In Etelä-Konnevesi nationalpark this prohibition applies also to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Pets running at large
- Taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Killing, catching or disturbing wild vertebrates, or damaging their nests
- Catching or collecting invertebrates
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Tips and hints
Holiday and Course Center Törmälä offers accommodation just next to the National Park Southern Konnevesi. It is a gate to the National Park's hiking routes. There is also summer cafe.
Metsähallitus (Management of National Park of Southern Konnevesi)
Customer Service: tel. +358 (0)206 39 5270, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kalasatama in Hanhitaipale harbour (Satamatie 143, Rautalampi) has a boat ramp, which is owned by the municipality of Rautalampi. Follow the signs 'Hanhitaipale' and 'Kalasatama' from Konnekoskentie road (no 16089) to road 16090 for Kalasatama.
Read also Southern Konnevesi National Park Directions and maps.
ParkingThere is a parking lot in Hanhitaipale harbour at Satamatie 143, Rautalampi.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
The Map of Southern Konnevesi area, kayaking gear, waterproof packed phone.
Maps and kayaking equipments available in KalajaRetkeily: https://kalajaretkeily.fi/en/, phone +358 (0)40 553 5975.