The rocky trail goes round Lake Iso Koirajärvi in Salamajärvi National Park, near Information Hut Koirasalmen Luontotupa.
The trail goes round Lake Iso Koirajärvi. The eastern area, Koirakangas is very rocky. On the western area one can still see marks of the old tar pits. There is campfire place in Hiiliniemi as well as in Pahkahongankangas, also the starting point with its hut, well and toilet and nearby Koirasalmen Luontotupa (information, cafe, accommodation, sauna, shower etc.) are at your service. There are also several trails connecting the area to longer routes of Salamajärvi National park and Peuran Polku trail.
Equipment and Safety
Even though there are no great differences in altitude, the rocky terrain is quite difficult at some places. It is wise to wear sturdy shoes with rigid soles, which also support the ankles. In the spring, when the snow melts, water rises on the duckboards. During this time, you will need to wear rubber boots.
Please note that there is no paper in the toilets.
Please note, that lighting campfires is forbidden also at the campfire places if the forest fire warning is in effect.
If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency. Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
In the Salamanperä Strict Nature Reserve it is only allowed to move on the marked trails. In the National Park, the following are
- Walking, skiing, row boating and canoeing, except in the restricted area. Mountain biking according to everyman's rights except in the restricted area. Always stay on clearly visible tracks and pay attention to other hikers.
- Picking berries and edible mushrooms
- Hook and line fishing and ice fishing, except in Koirajärvi lakes. Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- Campfire is only allowed at sites marked for this purpose. When forest fire warning is in effect, fire may only be lit in the fireplaces of the huts.
Camping out temporarily is allowed in the camping sites indicated, and in the vicinity of campfire sites and shelters.
A destination-specific permit is needed for fishing in Koirajärvi angling permit area.
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning is in effect
- Making open fires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning has been issued for the area (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- Pets running at large
- Taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Killing, catching or disturbing wild animals, or damaging their nests
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
From Perho: Drive roat 13 in direction Jyväskylä about 6 km from Perho centre. In Möttönen, turn left to road 6520 (Kivijärventie). Drive about 10,5 km, and turn left to Sysilammentie Road (sign to Salamajärvi National Park). Drive this gravel road 2,8 km, turn right to Koirasalmentie Road. Continue about 7 km, and you will reach the Koirasalmi Information Hut.
Parking area in Koirasalmi (Information Hut, starting point).