Walkers really must capture a photo of world-famous reflection of the Matterhorn on the waters of the Riffelsee lake.
With luck you could catch a glimpse of the bearded vulture, whose eyrie is at the back of the Riffelhorn.
Just before the end of your walk the Alphitta beckons walkers to try some home-made specialities and enjoy a relaxing break.
Rest stopsAlexandre - Riffelalp Resort 2222 m.ü.M.
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. The Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on “Print” icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
Tips and hints
Are you travelling to Zermatt by public transport? If you are travelling by public transport for several days, it is worth using the Adventure Card. This gives you 2-5 days of free travel on a large train and post bus network as well as discounts on mountain railways.
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. We recommend travelling to Zermatt by public transport via Visp.
ParkingZermatt is car-free. The Matterhorn Terminal Täsch in Täsch is a covered multi-storey car park - under one roof with the Täsch railway station, where you can change directly to the Zermatt Shuttles. We generally recommend travelling by public transport via Visp.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click “Print” icon, to download)
- 8 Waypoints
- 8 Waypoints