The ruins of Falkenburg rest above the village of Wilgartswiesen, as a testimony of medieval castle architecture.
The ruins of Falkenburg rest above the village of Wilgartswiesen, as a testimony of medieval castle architecture. Now as a major attraction of the "Wilgartswieser Biosphärenpfad" this former imperial palace regains its former prominence. As well as the Falkenburg, this educational hike offers a number of unforgettable impressions.
Right at the beginning of the rising to the castle, we walk on a forest path almost hidden in shades and mystery along the foot of the castle walls. A narrow staircase leads up to the castle rocks of the wildly overgrown upper castle which reveals a magnificent view over the Wasgau. Whilst being here, it is worthwhile exploring the castle ruins. In the shade under an oak tree and surrounded by unspoilt nature, which has taken possession of the imposing castle ruins, you will also find a nice picnic spot.
Safety informationDespite the well-signposted trail markers along the premium hiking trails, we recommend for security reasons to always have an appropriate hiking map so that, for example when a storm occurs, you can quickly either find shelter or get out of the woods.
Especially in the autumn it is also important to remember that leaves lying on the ground can conceal irregularities, such as roots, rocks or holes in the path. Following storms, trees can have been uprooted or have branches hanging down. Such path impairments have to be expected when using such trails . Especially in adverse weather conditions, it may occur that the trails and paths turn into muddy and slippery passages. Path impairments of this kind have to be expected when you go out for a hike. Not all rocks or slopes are secured with ropes or railings and sure footedness is required. Should you be of the opinion that these are not accessible to you then you should try and get around them.
Tips and hintsFor this hike you should remember to take sufficient snacks and refreshment with you. The tour is also suitable in length for families. Refreshments at the beginning and end of the hike can be found in the local gastronomy of Wilgartswiesen.
Getting thereB 10 Landau-Pirmasens, exit Wilgartswiesen.
ParkingParking area Falkenburghalle Wilgartswiesen.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentSturdy footwear and all-weather clothing, sun and rain protection, and a sufficient quantity of food and drink, should no refreshment facilities or shopping possibilities exist or be open. Although the path is always very well marked, you should for safety reasons always have an appropriate hiking map with you
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.