Wild Camping Beattock to Sanquhar
Route drawn for a 26 mile wild camp.
Hike follows sections of the Southern Upland Way including Beattock, Wanlockhead and Sanquhar. First day is forest with smaller climbs, a total ascent of 1,900 ft. Second day has a number of challenging ups and downs, a total ascent of 2,500 ft. Day two takes you through Wanlockhead. Food and drink served at Wanlockhead Inn.
Distance: 9.9 miles hiking.
Route: Start on Crooked Road, there is a small car park for around 6-7 cars. After 100m there will be a waymarker to join the Southern Upland Way, taking you past the Earshaig Lochans Nature Reserve then heading north-westerly to Daer Reservoir.
Camping: After the forest section, Near to Old Town Burn.
Distance: 12.4 miles hiking.
Route: Heading west, climbing Comb Head, Lowther Hill until arriving at Wanlockhead Village. At 8.4 miles stop at the Wanlockhead Inn. Then a final 5.3 miles circling Well Hill.
Distance: 3-4 miles hiking.
Route: Descending south-westerly until reaching Sanquhar village.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.