This hike mainly follows mule tracks of the Great War. You will live an unusual and fascinating experience in a border territory which is characterized by the presence of alpine pastures, mountain pine woods and breathtaking views of the Alte Valli Vicentine.
Rifugio Rumor - Costa d'Agra - Rifugio Valbona - Campoluzzo di Mezzo - Rifugio Rumor
The proposed route will take you along old mule tracks and wide paths, which include fortifications and military posts in an alternation of alpine huts and mountain pastures. The area of Monte Toraro, situated between Veneto and Trentino, has always been a strategic place and for this reason its territory still holds traces of the First World War and the Cold War. A magical territory with panoramic views ranging from the Asiago Plateau to the Little Dolomites where chamois, eagles and hawks will be faithful travel companions.
The suggested itinerary goes along the Via delle Prealpi, which connects Lake Garda to the Cansiglio Forest. Plan your own adventure and check out the points of interest, where to sleep, where to eat and the various services that will make your experience even more complete and safe on www.laviadelleprealpi.it.
Follow some simple rules and enjoy a great experience in the heart of nature:
- Plan your trip in advance
- Show respect for private property and the natural environment
- Always use safety equipment and check it in advance
- Follow the marked route and respect the bans
- Adapt the speed to your preparation and don't exceed your limits
- Do not scare animals
- Do not litter
- Always give way to pedestrians and let them know when you are approaching
- Do not ride at a dangerous speed
- Do not stop too suddenly or you might damage the soil
The practicability of routes in the Alpine foothills and mountain areas depends on the weather, the climatic phenomena and the environmental changes. For this reason, the information provided may be subject to change. Before you set off, find out about the state of the route by asking the local organisations, local experts and the tourist information offices on the website www.laviadelleprealpi.it. The local authorities and associations of the involved areas do not assume any legal liability for injuries or damages to people and things that may occur along the marked routes.
Tips and hints
Discover this route and many others that cross all the Veneto Prealps from Lake Garda to the Cansiglio Forest on www.laviadelleprealpi.it
If you are travelling from Vicenza you can take the A31 Valdastico motorway, exit at Piovene Rocchette, follow the signs for Arsiero / Tonezza del Cimone and continue up to Rifugio Rumor.
If you are travelling from Trento you can take the A22 Brennero motorway, exit at Trento Sud, follow the signs for Folgaria / Passo Coe and continue up to Rifugio Rumor.
Rifugio Rumor, Arsiero (VI)
GPS Coordinates: 45.867721, 11.278036
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Every excursion requires specific clothing and equipment. Adequate equipment is always recommended in order to avoid unpleasant surprises related to the variability of the weather, the season and the condition of the soil that can cause unpleasant accidents. Make sure you always evaluate the type of route you are facing, the stopping points and any useful references in case of need.
The routes in the mountains can hide many pitfalls even for the most experienced ones, so make sure you never leave the marked trails, always warn someone where you are heading and when you expect your return.
The telephone number in case of emergency is 112.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.