The round arch passage at the Hotel Post in Simplon village gives the "Entrée" to the big round. Right behind it, the route climbs over meadows to Lowigrabu. Half an hour higher the path crosses the Mälchgrabu and then it meanders between the rocky cliffs on the north-eastern flank of the Wenghorn up to the small Antonius wayside shrine high above the entrance to the Laggintal. The narrow path now runs crosswise into the valley. Above Schafalpe Färricha the white-red-white marked trail leads to Lagginbiwak SAC.
The descent begins as a leisurely high-level hike and leads us with a view of Lagginhorn, Weissmies and stony meadows in slight ups and downs to the innermost Laggin Valley. Here you cross several glacier streams, where the path bends: down to the left, partly steep and slippery, and in bends dodging the rocks. Below the Bidemji huts you enter the forest. After Laggii you walk out to the Simplon road and up to Simplon Dorf.
Getting thereBy post bus or private vehicle to Simplon Dorf.
ParkingParking is available in Simplon Dorf.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.