At the height of Rotenboden station the stony ground turns into alpine meadows and many black-nosed sheep can be seen grazing here. You won’t realise this in summer - but in winter this is the location of the big igloo village where guests can spend a night. After a walk of about one hour you will reach the Riffelberg.
- Carry a map with you. Download the full trail description with a large scale map by clicking on "Print" at the top right of the page.
- Use only marked trails and follow all signs and instructions - for your own safety, to protect grazing animals and in respect of wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Be considerate of other trail users, plants and animals.
- Carry additional sun protection. UV rays at high altitudes can be very strong, even in overcast weather.
- Plan your trek carefully: take into account the required fitness level of all participants, weather forecasts and seasonality.
- Weather conditions in the mountains can change very quickly and without warning. Appropriate clothing and sufficient provisions (food and drink) are very important. If the weather is unstable, it is better to turn back early.
Tips and hintsAre you travelling to Zermatt by public transport? If you are actively travelling for several days, it is worth using the Adventure Card. This gives you free travel on a large network of trains and post buses for 2-5 days, as well as discounts on mountain railways.
Further information here:
Getting thereZermatt is car-free. We recommend travelling to Zermatt by public transport via Visp.
ParkingZermatt is car-free. In Täsch, the Matterhorn Terminal Täsch has a covered car park - under the same roof as the Täsch train station, where you can transfer directly to the Zermatt Shuttle. We generally recommend arriving by public transport via Visp.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- Good footwear and snowshoes of suitable size.
- Weatherproof and warm clothing
- Sun protection
- Water bottle
- Binoculars (optional)
- Walking sticks (optional)
- Printout of the route (click "Print" to download)