By post bus you reach the Simplon Pass (2005 m.a.s.l.). The path begins at the hospice and leads in the direction of Chaltwasser. Here a detour to the SAC hut Monte Leone is possible. The path continues to Mäderlicka (2887 m.a.s.l.). The descent is very steep and requires good footwear. Partly slippery and rock scree as a base. Via Hohbiel you reach the bus stop in the Rothwald.
Further information can be found at www.brig-simplon.ch
Getting thereBy post bus or private vehicle to the Simplon Pass.
ParkingParking is available on the Simplon Pass and in Brig.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.