The trail leads from Engeloch via the Chlusmatta alpine sign and the following slope on the left bank of the Ritzibach up to the Wysse Bode (2113m). At the end of the bottom, the trail leads through a steep slope with rocky outcrops. These are overcome east (left) of the waterfall over the ramp. Soon after, turn right, cross the stream and bypass the rock that hides the beautiful Sirwoltensee behind it.
After a break at the clear mountain lake you continue on a good and marked path to the Sirwoltensattel. This is the highest point of the hike. Passing the former military accommodation, the trail now descends. Turning to the right, we continue our hike on the well maintained former military road. At the top of the pass there is a mighty stone man commemorating the border troops of the Second World War.
The slightly sloping path leads over the wide Bistina drifts. The short last ascent leads us to the post bus stop.
Getting thereBy post bus or private vehicle from Brig to Engeloch.
ParkingParking is available in Engeloch and on the Simplon Pass.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentEquipment adapted to the weather is indispensable. For all hikes it is strongly recommended to wear good, sturdy mountain boots.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.