A trail dedicated to the famous Lord of the Rings author, who often stayed at Stonyhurst College.
Distance 10.3 km
It is said that JRR Tolkien based The Shire on this part of Lancashire and Hobbiton on Hurst Green, where this walk starts. Do this walk on a bright summer’s day and you'll see why. A section of this route travels upon the Ribble Way national trail where you will pass Cromwell’s Bridge, built in 1562. This is a real historic route. Parts of this walk can be muddy/boggy after poor weather.
SD 68585 38007
30U 534293 5965552
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view