Start point in the Mareham Pastures Local nature Reserve Sleaford. From the car park follow the road out onto Mareham Lane, turn Left and head for Sleaford. After 100m turn Right onto a farm track. On your left over the field should be the Old Maltings. Turn Left at the end of the track by an old barn. After 30m you will see a small copse on your Right, there is a footpath through the copse, follow this footpath. Out of the copse and after 25m turn Right and follow the hedge line back to Mareham lane. Turn Left on Mareham Lane, after 50m take the well-defined track to the Left. This has a footpath sign, when you reach the next hedge line turn Right and follow the hedge line to the next well-defined track. Turn Left, this is a new farm road (not shown on my map) follow it for approximately 1.5Km you will come to a Railway Bridge.
There is a national footpath shown on the Ordnance Survey (OS) that turns right up to a wood on top of the hill. I did not use this as the field was planted with young crops.
At the Railway Bridge turn left onto the hard-core track. Follow this road that becomes a tarmac road into the village of Kirkby la Thorpe it will take you over the A17 main road. Once into Kirkby La Thorpe and after about 1.5km, the road splits for Evedon and Ewerby, take the road to the Left to Evedon (Evedon road). In Evedon turn Left at the junction, towards the Church. At the church follow the footpath signs to the Right. This will take you down a farm track to a Ford. There is a small footbridge to the right of the ford over the stream. Follow the path and you will come out at the River Slea, turn Left. Follow the path back into Sleaford. In Sleaford turn Left at the Leisure Centre and continue through the car park and out onto Boston Road. Cross over and enter the Park. A small Café is open at certain times of the year. Cross the Park and follow the footpath in the top left (behind the tennis courts) of the park. This footpath will take you into a residential area. Follow the path over one road it will then turn left behind the houses and along the railway line. Cross the railway line over the open ground onto the track skirting the field. Turn Right and follow the track back around to the farm track at the old barn, turn Right and follow the track back out onto Mareham Lane. Turn Left and after 100m turn Right into the Mareham Pastures Local Nature Reserve.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.