Duration: 3.25 hours
This is a very pleasant rural walk in the scenic countryside around Torphins, an attractive Deeside village. Although there is ample evidence that our Neolithic ancestors settled in this area, the village of Torphins essentially grew out of the arrival of the Deeside railway line in the 1850’s, in support of the huge changes in agriculture, and the development of the rural weaving industry before and after the mid 19thC. Much of the lower land in this area would have been mossy bog and marsh before that time. Most of the route is within the bounds of the Learney Estate, and Learney House, a south-facing country mansion built in 1747 on a commanding position on Learney Hill, can be glimpsed on the route. The old farmstead called “Netherlands”, sitting below the head of the Learney valley marks the route’s return point on an unusual figure of eight loop that takes in pine and broadleaf woodland, arable farmland, and a section of the disused old railway track. There are great views up to the Hill of Fare, to the distinctive tor of Clachnaben, and sweeping vistas over mid-Deeside in general. Thanks to the Torphins Path Group for this route. For further walks around and about Torphins, see: https://www.torphinspathsgroup.org/
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.