Duration: 1.5 hour.
This is a short but interesting coastal walk with a minimal overall ascent. Initially, the route heads out into the dunes on a boardwalk to a fine viewpoint with an information board. From there we go further into the dunes system before making for the beach at the mouth of the River Ythan where you are likely to see many seals basking on the opposite side. We then walk inland along the beach, eventually reaching the golf course, and walking around the perimeter of the old 9-hole course, and into the village of Newburgh-on-Ythan. The origins of the village date back to 1261 when a charter was drawn up establishing a settlement there. The village developed as a centre for salmon fishing, and, by the 1850’s, as a busy small port. In 1828, Newburgh became the first port in Scotland to have a Lifeboat Station (passed on the walk, but now closed). Up to the late 1950s Newburgh remained an active port with quays and a mill. Close by, across the estuary, the Forvie National Nature Reserve (see our Walk SCO-006) is home to the largest colony of eider ducks in the UK, and one of the largest UK populations of migratory Antarctic terns. Up to 1,000 seals, from the Grey and Common species, haul up on the beaches of the Reserve. This draws human observers to Newburgh beach, and viewing the seals is a key anticipated feature of this walk. Newburgh Golf Club was founded in 1888 and the attractive original 9-hole course was laid out on the undulating links between the Foveran Burn and the River Ythan.
Book recommendations for this region: