One or two steep gradients together with some relatively rough boggy moorland. A significat number of stiles need to be crossed over the course of the walk.
The reservoir history
Both Lower and Upper Ogden Reservoirs supply drinking water to the Nelson area. Lower Ogden, completed in 1914, is the larger of the two with a surface area of 8.55 hectares (21.12 acres), holding 715,989 cubic meters (155.5 million gallons) of water. Upper Ogden, completed in 1906, has a surface area of 2.84 hectares (7.014 acres) and can hold 247,755 cubic meters (54.5 million gallons).
Three forests covering more than 23 hectares (56.8 acres) are established around the reservoirs. fell Wood, the largest, was planted in 1931 with Norway Spruce, Sitka Spruce, Scots Pine and Larch. Blue Wood, originally planted in 1935 with Scots Pine, Stika Spruce and Larch was felled and replanted in 1981. Buttock Plantation, was planted in 1935 with Sitka Spruce and LArch.
In the woodlands look out for common birds such as blue tits, coal tits, blacknirds and robins, whilst during summer keep your eyes peeled for the migratory redstart and pied flycatcher, all of which prefer areas containinf broad-leaved trees.
Book recommendations for this region: