After a short walk along the river we head up a small valley towards the Tissington Trail. Follow the trail till you reach the village of Biggin before heading back via a small lane to Hartington.
1. Leave the village of Hartington and head up Hall Bank towards the Youth Hostel. After a short uphill section (150 metres) take the first turning on the right (signposted to Wolfscote Grange Farm) into Raynards Lane.
2. Follow the lane in a straight line until the road goes right. Leave the road and continue straight on and immediately fork right into a farm track signposted to Biggin Dale. Continue along the lane until you enter Biggin Dale.
3. Turn right down Biggin Dale and after a short while follow the path behind the water hole and turn right signposted to Wolfscote Dale. Continue downhill following the valley until you eventually reach the River Dove.
4. On reaching the foot of Biggin Dale (at the entrance to Wolfscote Dale), turn left and walk alongside the River Dove.
5. Forty yards past Coldeaton Bridge, turn left immediately after crossing a stile into a narrow side valley.
6. Walk up the valley eventually leaving what is National Trust land at a stile. Maintain the same direction, keeping the wall close on your left as you gently climb up the valley.
7. The ground flattens out a little and you soon see some farm buildings, a little way ahead of you on the left. In the final field before the road cross a stile, by a gate a few yards in from the left hand corner.
8. Walk to the right up a minor road heading towards the bridge you can see in front of you.
9. Do not go under the bridge, but turn right by the Information Board and then left to walk over the bridge and along the Tissington Trail (this is a good place for lunch)
10. Walk up the trail in a northerly direction, passing through Coldeaton Cutting and then open countryside, crossing Back Lane and an embankment.
11. After passing through a short cutting and reaching another embankment you leave the trail at Biggin Road Bridge. Turn left towards Biggin, and walk under the bridge and continue down the road past the Wellington Inn (a good place for a quick pint). Continue through Biggin until you pass the entrance to Biggin Dale.
100 yards past the Biggin Dale entrance, take a small lane on the left, and follow it all the way back to Hartington to the Charles Cotton Hotel (or the Devonshire Arms).