The ramble starts and finishes at Downham village car park. Exit the car park by the information centre and toilets, then proceed up a short steep incline through the village, passing the church and the Assheton Arms. Follow the road out of the village (taking care as there are no pavements) until you meet a bridlepath on the right. Follow the path, passing the Greenbank tea rooms, until it re-joins the road just before the bridge over the A59. Descend into Chatburn Village where you will find Hudsons ice cream shop. Reverse the route returning to Downham. Instead of going directly back to the car park, follow the road through the village and cross the bridge over the river. Here you will find the village café serving tea, snacks and more ice cream. Plenty of opportunities along this route for tea, ice cream and or picnic spots by the river.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.