LADY CORY FIELD
Lady Cory gifted the field to the poeple of Cardiff for the purpose of football, cricket, and games and recreation.
OLD CARDIFF RAILWAY CUTTING
The Cardiff Railway was the brainchild of the rich and powerful Marquis of Bute who wanted to break the Taff Vale Railway's (TVR) near total monopoly on coal transportation from the Rhondda valley mines.
The minted Marquis owned Cardiff Docks along with several mines in the Rhondda valley and clearly wasn't too keen on the TVR grabbing a slice of his profits.
In an attempt to set up his own line for transporting coal, the Marquis purchased the Glamorganshire and Aberdare Canal in 1885 with the aim of closing both and converting them to railways.
The Glamorganshire Canal began its life when construction started in 1790. Being watched over by the wealthy ironmasters of Merthyr Tydfil, including Richard Crawshay of the Cyfarthfa Ironworks, the canal was thought up as a solution to the issue of transporting the goods (iron ore, coal and limestone) from the valleys to Cardiff, where they would be shipped around the world.
MELINGRIFFITH WATER PUMP
During the few miles approaching Cardiff, the Glamorganshire Canal suffered from severe water shortages, resulting in goods not arriving in Cardiff on time. To solve this problem, a water pump was introduced in Melingriffith, with the main purpose being to provide water to the canal from the River Taff. Located not far from the Melingriffith Tinplate works located directly between the River Taff and the Glamorganshire Canal, it was built in 1807.
Book recommendations for this region:
EquipmentWellies will be required after heavy rainfall as the trail gets very wet and muddy.