Circular walk from The Laurels B&B, past The Chained Oak.
Distance 5.9 km
Nice circular walk from The Laurels B&B along the old Churnet Valley Railway Line, up Barbary Gutter to The Chained Oak - The inspiration for the Hex ride at Alton Towers. The return route takes you across open fields with beautiful views of the Churnet Valley, but passes close enough to Alton Towers to see Oblivion, and hear the screaming! Luckily, you're soon back to tranquility with an easy walk down a quiet lane.
SK 05626 44830
30U 572637 5872904
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view