A pleasant and easy walk starting at Blackmoorfoot Reservoir. Parking is available along Reservoir Side Road but this can fill up quickly on sunny weekends. An alternative is to park in Meltham and start the walk there. Some of the stiles along the conduit could be difficult for less agile walkers.
Distance 10.8 km
The walk starts at Blackmoorfoot Reservoir and then follows the Blackmoorfoot conduit/sluice to Wessenden Head Road just above Meltham. The track along the conduit is clear, wooded in places and offers wide views to West Nab and Deer Hill. There are quite a few stiles along the sluice path and some of them are high. At Point 1 on the track you arrive at a sluice gate (I think that's what it is) make sure that you turn left to cross a brige and descend a set of metal steps to locate the continuation of the path which eventually reaches Wessenden Head Road. Follow this as far as Laygards Lane. A very short distance along this lane there is the footpath on the right which will take you into Meltham. You go through Meltham and onto the Meltham Greenway (starting at the side of Morrisons car park). At a bridge (Point 2) you can take a short diversion to the left to visit Folly Dolly Falls. The greenway leads to Huddersfield Road which you follow to South Crosland. A mix of tracks and road leads you back to the reservoir.
SE 10172 13142
30U 576226 5941275
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view