There are no steep gradients on the walk and much of the walk is on hard surface tracks or tarmac road. However, the return leg of the route crosses fields, which may become muddy in wet weather. The middle section of the walk is along a country lane and care should be taken to ensure you are visible to drivers using the road. There are several gates and kissing gates to negotiate but, at the time of writing, no stiles.
The reservoir history
Both Upper and Lower Black Moss Reservoirs provide drinking water to Nelson when needed. Upper Black Moss, completed in 1894, can hold 201,568 cubic meters (45 million gallons), has a surface area of 5.17 hectares (12.78 acres) and is 9.45m (31ft) deep. The ower reservoir was cpmpleted in 1903 and can hold 295,487 cubic meters (65 million gallons), is 11.8. (41st) deep witha surface area of 7.23 hectares (17.87 acres).
37 hectares (91 acres) of forest around the reservoirs were planted before 1935. Part of Whitehough forest was planted in 1901 with sycamore trees - the remainder, planted in 1935 with Sitka Spruce, Norway Spruce and Scots Pine. Slacks Wood and Heys Lane were planted in 1900 with Beech and Sycamore. Heys Lane was replanted in 1981
Book recommendations for this region: