Troston dates back to Anglo Saxon times with 10th century documents referring to it as Trostongtun meaning ‘the settlement of the people of Trost’: ‘tun’ being Anglo-Saxon for settlement; ‘ing’ meaning ‘of the people’; and ‘Trost’ being the name of the headman.
The village lies on the route between the possible site of the martyrdom of St Edmund and the Saint’s final resting place in Bury St Edmund’s Abbey. Inside Troston’s St Mary’s Church are wall paintings depicting the martyrdom.
Central to the village’s history is Troston Hall. The Hall was once owned by the Capel family, Plantagenets and descendants of Richard lll and the Duke of Suffolk. Edward Capel (1713-1781) was a critic of Shakespeare and died a batchelor leaving the hall to his nephew Capel Lofft (1751-1824), a controversial figure.