Starting point: car park near to the Landal Mont Royal holiday village
If you want to start the hike directly from Kröv, start at the Kesselstatt Chapel and follow hiking trail 8 and then 9 to the car park
The circular route R leads over part of the former fortress of Mont Royal built between 1687-92 by Louis XIV, destroyed in 1697. The fortress was one of the biggest fortresses of the 17th century and was a base of operations for Ludwig XIV's Rhine army for a decade.
The circular route shows various information boards about the fortress. The two viewpoints Rabenwerk and Eulenwerk offer impressive views of the Moselle valley.
Rest StopFlugplatz Mont Royal
Safety informationA firm shoe is required. In winter and when it is wet, special care is required due to the risk of slipping when visiting the casemates. Some casemates are currently not accessible for security reasons, please note the relevant information on site.
Tips and hints
Tourism information Kröv
from Kröv via the K63 and K64 to the Mont Royal hiking car park
from Traben-Trarbach via the K64 to the Mont Royal hiking car park
ParkingMont Royal hiking car park
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Equipmenta flashlight to visit the underground cellars (casemates) is recommended
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.