Get to know the Suffolk Coast & Heaths AONB on this wander along the Deben and King's Fleet.
Distance 10.1 km
Open space and fresh air are assured on this walk that will take you from the quirky maritime village of Felixstowe Ferry along the mudflats and salt marshes to the outskirts of Falkenham.
Save the route for offline use beforehand.
Update: October 15, 2021
- Be mindful of stray golf balls when passing the links course.
- Never enter the mud.
Tips and hints
- The local cafes and pub are excellent for drinks, snacks, and more.
- For a different perspective, you can also take the pedestrian ferry crossing over the Deben to Bawdsey.
- Seafood lovers can buy fresh catch locally.
- The boatyard is pretty interesting too.
- Felixstowe is reached by the A14.
- Take the second exit from Dock Spur Roundabout and follow the A154 along Candlet Road.
- Take the second exit at the second roundabout and follow Grove Road.
- Take the third exit at the next roundabout to follow Beatrice Avenue.
- Take the first exit at the next roundabout (note the Orwell hotel) and turn left onto High Road East.
- Continue for 4 km / 2.5 miles. The road will become Cliff Road and then Ferry Road once you have passed the golf club.
- The car park is towards the far end of the village.
ParkingThe main car park opposite the public toilets.
TM 32860 37693
31U 389454 5761022
- Sturdy footwear.
- Depending on the weather and time of year, a rain jacket and hat/ear warmers are recommended, as this area can also be very windy.
- Drinking water.
- Suncream on sunnier days.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view