Duration: 3 hours
This walk provides some interesting contrasts: the typical Canarian settlements of Charco del Pino and El Frontón are surrounded by productive rural farming plots that you continually pass along the way, whilst the section on the old Camino Real through the Barranco Orchilla amply illustrates the natural volcanic grandeur of Tenerife. There is a tremendous viewpoint at the little church and plaza in El Frontón, particularly of the most spectacular section of the rugged Orchilla barranco. Great views, too, up to the pine trees of the Corona Forestal National Park and down to the volcanic cones on the south-eastern coast. Good exercise in an interesting and scenic environment!
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.