Starting at Talybont On Usk WP1, the hike heads off along the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal, at WP2 you follow the Brinore Tramroad/Taff Trail to Talybont Reservoir WP3. It’s then steep uphill to Allt Lwyd WP4, then more uphill to a cairn on the ridgeline just below Waun Rydd, you then continue following the ridgeline to WP5 the Canadian War Memorial, the crash site of WW2 Wellington bomber MF509.
The return journey takes you downhill across Bryn WP6, and then along lanes and across fields to the final stretch following the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal from WP7 to the finish back at Talybont On Usk WP8.
Parking and start point:
Start point & roadside parking map ref, N51° 53’ 48.2 W3° 17’ 27.9 just copy and paste into google maps or click the link below it will take you straight to the car parking.
Alternative parking is nearby at the village hall. (voluntary donation of £1 at the time of writing)
Link for Google photo album:
Youtube Talybont On Usk-Waun Rydd-Bryn Circular Hike Video:
Points of interest on route:
Talybont on Usk
Monmouthshire Brecon Canal
Canadian War Memorial
On good paths and tracks, with lots of uphill climbing on the first half of the hike, some parts may be muddy in winter.
Places to stop for refreshments:
The White Hart at Talybont On Usk
The Star Inn at Talybont On Usk
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.