Starting from Layby Parking on the Snake Road the route crosses the River Ashop, you then follow Fair Brook up onto the Kinder Plateau WP2. The route then heads along Seal Edge past many weather sculpted outcrops of gritstone rock to WP3, The return path heads steep downhill partly by the side of Gate Side Clough.
Link for Google Photo Album:
Parking and start point:
Start point & free layby parking on Snake Road, map ref N53° 24’ 33.5 W1° 49’ 44.7 just copy and paste into google maps or click the link below it will take you straight to the car park.
Points of interest on route:
Weather Sculpture Rocks
Gate Side Clough
Mainly on good paths and tracks, the paths on Seal Edge are a bit fragmented but easy enough to follow, some sections are rough and rocky.
Places to stop for refreshments:
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.