The route is made up of alpine trails and forest path with medium difficulty, and we recommend you use hiking boots for this tour. Toilets are only available at the starting point Ursprungalm and finishing point at the valley terminal of Gipfelbahn Hochwurzen cable-car. Bus line #972 takes you from Schladming and Rohrmoos to Ursprungalm, the trail head of the tour. Refreshment stops are Ursprungalm inn at the very beginning of the tour, and Familienhotel Austria at the end.
Points of Interest:
- Ursprungalm cirque and alp beneath the North face of Steirische Kalkspitze summit.
- primeval forest zone between Neudeggalm and Obere Moarhofalm.
Changes in weather patterns, quick falls in temperature, thunderstorms, wind, fog and snow are some of the dangers that can be encountered on a hiking tour. Hosts of alpine huts and mountain refuges have a lot of experience in the mountains and can give good advice about weather and the trails. Poor equipment, overestimation of one's own capabilities, carelessness, poor personal constitution and/or wrong judgement can lead to critical situations. In case of thunderstorms: avoid summits, ridges and steel ropes.
GPS data and orienteering
Available GPS data - just like hiking maps - is only a guidance for orientation and can never depict a trail exactly with all its details. Especially at dangerous spots it is essential to judge on site how to proceed.
In an emergency please call:
- 140 - for Alpine emergencies (all over Austria)
- 112 - European GSM emergency number
Tips, hints and links
Tourist information: www.schladming.com
Information about bus schedules: www.planaibus.at
Information about cable-car hours: www.planai.at
360° drone images
Get yourself an overview with our 360° drone images:
- Hochwurzen, Rossfeld & Guschen: https://vonoben.schladming-dachstein.at/sommer/index.php?S=305
- Hochfeld and Schiedeck: https://vonoben.schladming-dachstein.at/sommer/index.php?S=306