The majestic beauty of the Salmijoki gorge crowns the trip by Kalliojärvi from the Salla Ski Resort at Sallatunturi. In addition to the rocky ponds and fascinating gorge, you will encounter sandy eskers, branching riverbanks, and the majesty of the ancient forests. The wilderness cottage at Kalliojärvi will call you to stay for a longer time, and you can enjoy a rest at the lean-to at Salmijoki gorge surrounded by the finest nature in Salla.
Sound of Salla: Where does the waterfall take you while listening to it?
To be considered:
- The route is classified as demanding
- The route is partially marked with blue route markings, partially with reddish-brown paint, and partially with both markings and paint
- There are water crossings on the route
- Salmijoki gorge is also a child- and family-friendly destination and is easily accessible from the gravel road, which turns off the road between the village of Salla and Kemijärvi (Rojulan tie, turn to the left about 7 km from Salla towards Kemijärvi). The gravel road is open during the summer and takes you close to the lean-to (the road is closed with a boom gate during winter and the muddy season). The point where the car can be turned around is 700 m from the lean-to.
- Choose the route according to your physical fitness, skills, and circumstances.
- Follow markings and signposts.
- Always keep a map and phone with you. You can also download the Salla routes to your phone via the CityNomadi app (maps pre-downloaded on your phone will also work in areas where there is no internet connection)
- Download the 112 app on your phone for any possible emergency situations. It is your obligation to stop and help if you notice someone needing assistance