Topsakantaival from Hautajärvi ( Arctic Circle) to Sallatunturi offers abundant experiences for discerning hikers and one can stop along the trail at numerous resting spots and camp fire places. In addition, hikers on this trail gain the distinction of crossing the Arctic Circle on foot! Hikers are protected by the shade of the ancient forest and experience the revitalising effect of the fell terrain, as well as the beauty of the vast protected marshlands. The route also serves as a connecting trail between the Oulanka National Park and Sallatunturi.
To be considered:
- The route is classified as moderate-demanding
- The route is marked with orange markings
- There are stream crossings along the route
- Drinking water is available from the fountains along the route
- Be sure to pay attention to the route intersections
Rest StopSalla Reindeer Park
Log restaurant, Salla
Salla Sport Center
Salla Ski Resort
Papana Pupi pub, Salla
Restaurant Kiela, Salla
Restaurant Revontuli, Salla
- Choose the route according to your physical fitness, skills, and circumstances.
- Follow markings and signposts.
- Always keep a map and phone with you. You can also download the Salla routes to your phone via the CityNomadi app (maps pre-downloaded on your phone will also work in areas where there is no internet connection)
- Download the 112 app on your phone for any possible emergency situations. It is your obligation to stop and help if you notice someone needing assistance.